Literacy History


 Andy's Literacy History




My name is Andy Nunez, and I am 18 years old and a sophomore. My major is Economics. My hobbies include cars, soccer, snowboarding, go-kart, paintball, and airsoft. The reason why I took this class is that it seemed the most interesting and actually something I could learn from compared to the other classes.

When thinking back to my earliest experience of becoming literate, I can't really remember a time when I wasn't. It feels as if I've always known how to convey my feelings in words. As many kids once did, I grew up with nothing much but books. Being born in the Dominican Republic, even in a middle-class area, with many things considered luxuries back then, my parents never spoiled my brothers and me. And so I was forced alongside my older brother to be at the top of our classes in our studies. And so since young, I had an efficiency with grammar, as well as spelling. I do also remember when my grandmother would travel from the U.S. to visit us in the Dominican Republic, forcing me to use my right hand when I was first practicing calligraphy (as it was seen, or perhaps still is, seen as associated with the devil). But because I felt comfortable with my left hand, I became ambidextrous. Overall, this became an excellent foundation for what was to come and our move from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, to the United States. It was relatively easy for my brother and me to learn the English language (which we learned in throughout summer vacation right after school had ended and went into break). My advancement in education was always encouraged by the people closest to me, and never discouraged by those I didn't know. Even though at heart I've always been an adventurous kid, I saw that if I completed my responsibility and fulfilled the duty I had to for my parents, I knew freedom would come as a reward. I never exactly had an issue with literacy as in DR, I was writing in 3rd grade, writing at a higher level at home with my uncle who is a teacher. The only problem was when I initially came to the United States, as I knew nothing of the language. But as I previously mentioned, the experience I had gained from mastering one language was somewhat useful in understanding the English language. I found it to be easier to listen to people speak and then match the words, rather than go by understanding the translation of each word. Luckily for me, I found it to be quite enjoyable watching movies or tv shows, which rapidly improved my understanding of not just common everyday talk, but as well as complex words. Outside of movies and continuing my everyday life I didn't do any other activities which I know could've improved my English. I can't recall if there were any instances in which I was frustrated due to the learning of the language, which I guess is because of the knowledge I already knew from learning Spanish. Today, of course, I feel grateful for having the ability to read and write, although it is a common thing for most to be able to do. I do know that in the past, those who possessed the ability to read and write were seen as people who could govern cities. Still, those closest to me continue to support me in my chasing of education which I consider myself lucky indeed.

Comments